- San Francisco, CA 94110
- Salary: $27.00 to $36.00 /hour
This is your chance to change the way the San Francisco Bay Area powers its homes and businesses. Luminalt, San Francisco’s leading solar design and installation company (CSLB #845219) is looking for a Solar Designer to join us in designing residential and commercial solar photovoltaic installations.
Locally owned and operated, Luminalt designs and builds solar systems for single and multi-family homes, businesses, and non-profits in the San Francisco Bay Area. Certified as San Francisco’s only Woman Business Enterprise solar installation company, Luminalt is also a San Francisco certified green business.
Luminalt’s outstanding installation quality and award winning customer service sets us apart. We are committed to increasing diversity in the solar industry and are an equal opportunity employer. Luminalt’s office is fast paced, results oriented and growing. Our office is professional, but casual.
Visit https://www.luminalt.com for more information about Luminalt.
The Solar Designer plays a key role in maintaining Luminalt’s excellent customer experience while taking projects from sales through permitting to complete installation. The Solar Designer works on all aspects of designing, drawing, and obtaining permits for solar photovoltaic (PV) and energy storage projects. The Solar Designer will also help with pre-sale project estimating for commercial projects including development of preliminary designs, creating proposals, and responding to RFQs. On-the-job training can be provided for areas outside of the candidate’s expertise.
The Solar Designer will:
- Plan and design PV and Energy Storage systems
- Draft PV and energy storage system permit documents including electrical plans and to-scale site plans using AutoCAD
- Create job site work instructions for the installation team
- Use shade analysis to optimize system design
- Work with local building departments to apply for and obtain building permits
- Work with local permitting jurisdictions to assure that our proposals and designs meet their requirements
- Generate accurate Bill Of Materials (BOMs) for installations
- Complete service load calculations for adding loads or downsizing main breakers
- Maintain permitting jurisdiction and building department files and notes
- Review site intake sheets provided by outside sales consultants, completing a preliminary design, and drafting sales proposals
- Work with clients to determine their needs, send design revisions, and help the outside sales consultants
- Keep apprised of design, financial, and general market considerations with a goal of staying competitive and offering efficient options for our clients
- Interact with customers and other project stakeholders in person, on the phone, and via email
- Travel to project sites to gather site-specific data
- Work both in a team environment and with little supervision
- Keep a record of work and complete accurate timesheets
- You have a strong desire to work in the solar and energy storage fields
- You have a strong desire to learn and continuously improve
- You are self directed, independent, and solution oriented
- You are technically minded
- You are highly motivated and ethical
- You are reliable and punctual
- You are committed to working hard, doing great work, and achieving your objectives
- You value trust, honesty, and teamwork
- You value outstanding customer service
- 1+ years of experience working with AutoCAD in a similar or related field
- Proficient with spreadsheets such as Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets
- Able to read and interpret building plans, building codes, technical bulletins, code books and related construction documents
- Proficient in English with excellent written communication
- 1+ years of experience working as a Solar Designer
- 4 year degree in engineering or related field
- NABCEP certification
- Understanding of the national electrical code
- Working knowledge of residential and commercial wiring
- Previous design and or construction experience in the solar industry
- Experience with Saleseforce or similar customer relationship management software
- Valid CA driver’s license with a clean driving record
- Ability to climb ladders and lift up to 25 lbs
- Regular and consistent attendance and the ability to sit and work with hands and arms for at least eight (8) hours per day and five (5) days per week
- Physical ability to stand, reach, lift, bend, kneel, stoop, climb, walk, crawl, push and pull items weighing up to 20 pounds
- Stand and move throughout the office
- The Solar Design team in currently working remotely, but the candidate should be available for weekly onsite attendance at the office
- Proficient interpersonal relations and communicative skills in English
- Interpret and follow a variety of instructions and procedures furnished in English – written, oral, diagram, or schedule form
- High level of manual dexterity to adeptly type and use computer equipment
- Auditory and visual skills – Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus
- Ability to work overtime occasionally at the last minute
- Occasional Travel may be required
The successful candidate will be required to pass a drug screen prior to starting.
The successful candidate will be willing to undergo a background check in accordance with local laws and regulations.
The successful candidate will be authorized to work in the United States.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter.